Are you getting ready to join a horse show? Whether it is your first time or you’ve joined quite a number of equestrian competitions already, it is always better if you are prepared before embarking on a challenging activity. Here are some tips you can use to help you prepare for a horse show.
1. Prepare your horse by grooming him daily. It is better if you start early, like months before the show. Daily grooming will not only make your horse look good, but it will also improve his health. Likewise, the two of you will establish a strong emotional bond.
2. Feed your horse properly. Make your horse’s coat thicker and shinier by giving him feeds enhanced with essential nutrients. Feeding your horse some dried breadcrumbs will also be a big help. Likewise, be sure to take good care of your horse’s mane and tail. To make sure his tail does not get tangled in knots, braid it now and then. Regularly brush his mane and tail.
3. Your horse’s health is important. Aside from making sure he gets nutrients from his feeds, it is also important for you to regularly check his weight. Likewise, give him vitamins (ask your veterinarian for suggestions) and make sure he is free from worms and any illnesses.
4. A day before the competition, make sure that your horse is clean. Give your horse a good bath the day before the show. Be careful in applying the bath formula so that you don’t put some on the saddle and saddle pad. If this happens, you might slip from it on the day of the show.
5. Trim your horse’s fetlocks and long hairs. You need to regularly trim or clip your horse’s fetlocks and hairs, especially the ones that tend to cover his hooves. Doing this will help make your horse look more presentable. In case you want a full-body clipping for your horse, prepare to do it at least one or two weeks before the show. This is so that the oils that will dry out after the clipping will have enough time to come out and spread again. This will likewise help your horse’s hair grow back.